Corn Field Search and Rescue Tips and Techniques
July 27 at 11:00 am - 12:00 pm CDT
Join us for this informative webinar where Ralph Kuchenbrod will provide essential tips and techniques for effectively and safely conducting searches in corn fields. Searches in agricultural settings like corn fields present unique challenges and risks that searchers must be prepared for.
In this webinar, Ralph Kuchenbrod will cover:
- Corn field search techniques: We will discuss strategies for systematically searching rows, handling tall corn, and tips for maximizing your visibility and coverage area.
- Hazards and concerns: Searches in corn fields have inherent risks like getting lost, injuries from sharp corn leaves, and exposure to agricultural chemicals. We will overview these hazards and how to mitigate them.
- Proper PPE: Corn fields require sturdy footwear, protective clothing, eye protection, and more. We will outline recommended PPE for corn field searches.
- Additional gear: Learn about equipment and gear that can aid your search efforts like radios, maps, and high-visibility gear.
- Coordination: We will discuss how to coordinate with and utilize other searchers, volunteers, and farmers to make your corn field search more effective.
Whether you are a professional searcher or volunteer, this webinar will provide indispensable advice for preparing for the unique challenges of corn field searches. Attendees will gain practical tips to conduct efficient, thorough searches while maintaining safety.
About the presenter:
Ralph Kuchenbrod is an instructor Wilderness Search and Rescue at the Illinois Fire Service Institute at the University of Illinois and for Champaign County Search and Rescue. He has 12 years of experience in search and rescue, and has conducted numerous searches in corn fields. Ralph is a certified search and rescue technician achieving SARTECH II level, and is a member of the National Association for Search and Rescue.